The original description isn't clear enough to explain the problem. I've contacted the submitter, and we've agreed on the following description:
Go to your home directory and make sure it has the following files:
- no other GIF files
On Windows XP this is your "My Documents" directory.
Reproducing this bug requires you to stay in the same directory.
Please follow the steps directly and don't change out of the default
STEPS TO REPRODUCE:
- Launch the JFileChooser demo
- Select "Show JPG and GIF filters"
- Select "Motif"
- Push "Show FileChooser" button
- Ensure that the "*" filter is chosen.
- Select "a" file from the "Files" list on the right
- Toggle filter menu and select "GIF image files (.gif)"
- Try to select "b.gif" file from the "Files" list on the right.
(It's already selected)
- Though the item in the list is selected, the filename doesn't
apper in "Enter file name:" text field below.
- As a result, double-clicking "b.gif" closes the dialog and does nothing.
Hitting OK instead, returns file "a".
When opening a file using JFileChooser with MotifLook&Feel "File does not exist" error is thrown. This happens when you switch Filter between .x and .y and try to open the highlighted file in the "Files box".