Attempting to make the new plug-in run on top of JDK 1.4.2 (on
Windows) required the following changes:
- Switched to -target 1.4 for all plugin classes
- Avoiding the direct use of System.getenv(), which was broken on
JDK versions before 5
- Guarded certain System.loadLibrary() and load() calls due to less
robust System.load() implementation on 1.4.2
- Refactored progress listener support and guarded against lack of
it on 1.4.2
- Guarded against lack of sun.net.www.ParseUtil.encodePath(String,
boolean) on older 1.4.2 versions
- Failed gracefully if the DeployCacheHandler, proxy and cookie
initialization fail due to lack of dependent classes
- Dealt with lack of Thread.getState() on JDK 1.4.2
- Loaded regutils DLL early on Windows
Also added better support for debugging bootstrapping issues in the
Applets now run on top of the new plug-in on JDK 1.4.2 on Windows.
Because there was no XEmbed support even in the AWT MToolkit on
Unix/X11 platforms in the JDK 1.4.2 release, it is infeasible to make
the new plug-in run on top of JDK 1.4.2 on X11 platforms.
Related bugs 6611381 and 6636067 are still to be resolved for more
complete functionality when running on 1.4.2.