We would like to have consistency in the naming of the command line parameters in G1 in two ways: first, consistency in naming and second use standard (i.e., existing non-G1) parameters where appropriate.
This CR will cover the renaming of all our current flags that are available in the product (i.e., product, diagnostic, and experimental flags) that we want to rename. Separate CRs will cover other G1 flag changes whose implementation will be a bit more involved (i.e., it will not be just a simple renaming).
General guidelines for the parameter naming:
- All G1-only parameters is prefixed with "G1"
- concurrent refinement is referred to as "ConcRefinement"
- concurrent marking is referred to as "ConcMark"
- A G1 heap region is referred to as "HeapRegion"
- switch type of flags (i.e., the switch a service on or off) will use the "Use" form and be prefixed with "G1", e.g., G1UseAdaptiveConcRefinement
- parameters that represent milliseconds are suffixed with "Millis"
- parameters that represent percentages are suffixed with "Percent"
The Public Comments on this CR will enumerate all flag changes (that will be covered by this and the other CRs), so that we can have them in one place.