FULL PRODUCT VERSION :
java version "1.6.0_26"
Java(TM) SE Runtime Environment (build 1.6.0_26-b03)
Java HotSpot(TM) Client VM (build 20.1-b02, mixed mode, sharing)
ADDITIONAL OS VERSION INFORMATION :
Appears to apply to all Windows versions, but confirmed on:
Microsoft Windows XP [Version 5.1.2600]
Microsoft Windows [Version 6.1.7600]
EXTRA RELEVANT SYSTEM CONFIGURATION :
The c:\progra~1\Java\jre6\lib\security\java.security file was locally modified on these systems intentionally.
If you set networkaddress.cache.ttl=60 to support networks in which host names change IP addresses frequently, this is the recommended file to modify.
This error is unrelated to the specific modification -- it appears for any modification of that file. Comments in the file indicate that it is meant to be modifiable.
A DESCRIPTION OF THE PROBLEM :
Starting from a Java 6u25 system with a locally modified "java.security" file, attempt to upgrade to Java 6u26.
The upgrade causes the following warning dialog:
Warning - Java(TM) Update
(!) lib\security\java.security: Old File not found. However, a file of the same name was found. No update done since file contents do not match.
[ OK ]
Attempts to continue result in a broken Java installation. Symptoms of breakage include web browser crashes when applets are loaded.
REGRESSION. Last worked in version 6
STEPS TO FOLLOW TO REPRODUCE THE PROBLEM :
1. Start from a clean Java 6u25 JRE installation on Windows XP or Windows 7.
2. Edit the C:\progra~1\Java\jre6\lib\security\java.security file, and make any change.
3. Navigate to http://java.com/ and click the "Free Java Download" button, then the "Agree and Install" button to begin installation of Java 6u26.
4. During the normal install process the installer will produce a badly worded warning dialog containing the text: "lib\security\java.security: Old File not found. However, a file of the same name was found. No update done since file contents do not match." [OK]
Click OK to proceed.
5. Observe that an Error dialog now appears:
Error - Java(TM) Update
Java(TM) Update fails to apply changes to your system. [OK]
6. A windows InstallShield error dialog appears:
Error 1722. There is a problem with this Windows Installer package. A program run as part of the setup did not finish as expected. Contact your support personnel or package vendor. [OK]
7. The Java Setup wizard shows an "Installation Failed" screen with this text:
The wizard was interrupted before Java(TM) 6 Update 26 could be completely installed. To complete installation at another time, please run setup again. Click "OK" to exit the wizard. [ x ] Open Java Help. [OK]
8. At this point, the java installation is broken. Web browsers will crash when loading applets. Luckily, the Windows uninstall process cleans up the mess, after which a clean installation can be done.
EXPECTED VERSUS ACTUAL BEHAVIOR :
I expect that upgrades will complete successfully, even if the java.security file has been locally modified.
The installer produces badly worded warning and error dialogs, and fails to upgrade Java.
ERROR MESSAGES/STACK TRACES THAT OCCUR :
Error text included in Steps to Reproduce, above.
This bug can be reproduced always.
CUSTOMER SUBMITTED WORKAROUND :
Uninstall Java using the Add/Remove Programs feature of Windows XP, or the equivalent in Windows 7.
Then, re-install, and modify security.properties after installation of 6u26 succeeds.